Are you considering bariatric surgery to lose weight and improve your overall health? If you live in Dubai, you have many options for this type of surgery. Bariatric surgery is a weight loss surgery that helps individuals who have obesity or are significantly overweight. This article will provide you with all the information you need to know about bariatric surgery in Dubai.
What is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery is a surgical procedure that helps individuals with obesity to lose weight by modifying their digestive system. There are several types of bariatric surgery, including:
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery
- Gastric Banding Surgery
- Biliopancreatic Diversion Surgery
- Duodenal Switch Surgery
Each type of bariatric surgery has its own benefits and risks, and your surgeon will help you determine which procedure is best for you based on your individual needs and medical history.
Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery has numerous benefits for individuals who are struggling with obesity. Some of the benefits include:
- Significant and sustained weight loss
- Improvement or resolution of obesity-related health conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea
- Increased mobility and physical activity
- Improved mental health and overall quality of life
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
Before you can undergo bariatric surgery, you will need to prepare yourself physically and mentally. This includes:
- Meeting with your surgeon to discuss your medical history, current health status, and any medications you are taking
- Undergoing medical tests, such as blood tests, ECG, and abdominal ultrasound
- Making changes to your diet and exercise routine to prepare for surgery
- Quitting smoking if you are a smoker
- Understanding the risks and benefits of the procedure
Bariatric Surgery Procedure
Bariatric surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia and takes between one to four hours to complete. The procedure involves making small incisions in your abdomen and using a laparoscope to perform the surgery.
During the procedure, your surgeon will modify your digestive system to limit the amount of food you can eat and absorb. The specifics of the procedure will depend on the type of bariatric surgery you undergo.
Recovery After Bariatric Surgery
After bariatric surgery, you will need to take time to recover and adjust to your new lifestyle. Some of the things you can expect during your recovery period include:
- Staying in the hospital for one to three days after surgery
- Following a liquid diet for several weeks after surgery
- Gradually reintroducing solid foods into your diet
- Engaging in light exercise as directed by your surgeon
- Attending follow-up appointments with your surgeon to monitor your progress and ensure that you are healing properly
Risks and Complications of Bariatric Surgery
Like all surgical procedures, bariatric surgery comes with risks and complications. Some of the potential risks and complications include:
- Blood clots
- Leaking or bleeding from the incision site
- Vomiting or nausea
- Nutritional deficiencies
It is important to discuss these risks with your surgeon and make an informed decision about whether or not bariatric surgery is right for you.
Cost of Bariatric Surgery in Dubai
The cost of bariatric surgery in Dubai can vary depending on the type of surgery you undergo and the surgeon you choose. On average, the cost of bariatric surgery in Dubai can range from AED 60,000 to AED 100,000. Some insurance companies may cover the cost of bariatric surgery, so it is important to check with your provider before scheduling the procedure.
Choosing a Bariatric Surgeon in Dubai
When choosing a bariatric surgeon in Dubai, it is important to consider their experience, credentials, and reputation. Look for a surgeon who has extensive experience performing bariatric surgery and who is board-certified in their specialty.
You should also read reviews and ask for recommendations from your primary care physician or other healthcare professionals.
Bariatric surgery can be an effective tool for individuals who are struggling with obesity and related health conditions. If you are considering bariatric surgery in Dubai, it is important to do your research, understand the risks and benefits of the procedure, and choose a qualified and experienced surgeon.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that you are making an informed decision about your health and well-being.
- Is bariatric surgery covered by insurance in Dubai?
Some insurance companies may cover the cost of bariatric surgery in Dubai. It is important to check with your provider before scheduling the procedure.
- How much weight can I expect to lose after bariatric surgery?
The amount of weight you can expect to lose after bariatric surgery depends on several factors, including your starting weight, the type of surgery you undergo, and your commitment to making lifestyle changes.
- How long does it take to recover from bariatric surgery?
The recovery time after bariatric surgery varies depending on the type of surgery you undergo and your individual circumstances. Most patients can expect to return to work and normal activities within a few weeks after surgery.
- Will I need to make changes to my diet after bariatric surgery?
Yes, you will need to make significant changes to your diet after bariatric surgery to ensure that you are getting the nutrients your body needs while also limiting your food intake.
- What are the long-term benefits of bariatric surgery?
Long-term benefits of bariatric surgery may include sustained weight loss, improved health and quality of life, and a reduced risk of obesity-related health conditions.